Originally from Dorset, I moved to Somerset 17 years ago after starting a design career in London. I studied a Bachelor of Honours Arts Degree in Graphic Design at Exeter College of Art and Design and have worked in the design industry for more than 20 years for clients such as Yo! Sushi, Usborne, Audi, Porsche and Lloyds.
I have always created but struggled to find my own style until after my father died. I found some of his old carving tools of which some I knew to be lino tools. Several attempts later of carving and having cut and inky fingers, my own style began to develop producing the first artwork ‘Magpies’. They were exhibited in The Atkinson Gallery’s summer show 2017 and were purchased for their private collection and following on from this, I won the 21st NOA’s Original Print Prize with the Cinegirl. A four colour block linocut print, inspired by a childhood memory of watching Saturday afternoon matinees. After meeting one of the NOA Sponsors that evening, Abi Slade added: “A well-deserved boost for all those nights at the kitchen table, you are an inspiration”.
Cynthia Corbett, NOA Judge and international gallerist had also championed my achievement with The Guardian – Witness, W is for Woman: “Cinegirl is a strong and iconic image which cannot help catch your eye, I really love your work”. The NOA was undoubtedly a platform that helped launch my career as an artist and printmaker.
All work is handmade, and no two pieces are the same. I only produce a small edition of any given design and use a mixture of block work and underpainting methods. After several sketches, I carve each layer on separate blocks rather than a reduction method as it allows me to become more experimental with colour, technique and the overall artwork. Experimenting, breaking rules and pushing some boundaries is what my art is all about. It’s linocut but with a contemporary, urban, pop art twist. I continue to work towards creating the sort of art that enthrals and excites me – strong, experimental and iconic imagery.
Graphic Design BA Hons – Exeter University
Graphic Design HND – Plymouth College of Art & Design
Graphic Design ND – Salisbury College of Art & Design
– The Contemporary Art Fair – Sandown with Athertongreenart – March
– Heart of the Tribe – Gallery Opening – May
– Cheddar Arts Fringe – May
– UPfest 2020, Bristol – May
– The Contemporary Art Fairs – Newbury with Athertongreenart – May
– The Contemporary Art Fairs – Sandown with Athertongreenart- September
– Cheddar Arts Fringe Festival (CHAFF) – April
– The Contemporary Art fair – Newbury with Athertongreenart – May
– Wylye Valley Arts Trail – May
– Bath Open Art Prize, Fringe Arts Bath @ 44AD Gallery – May
– The Atkinson Gallery, Summer Show – June/Aug
– National Original Print Exhibition, Bankside Gallery, London – Sept
-London Contemporary Art Ltd – Sept/Oct
– The Contemporary Art fair – Royal Windsor with Athertongreenart – Nov
– Artmills Gallery, Print exhibition, Plymouth – Nov
Cool Cuts – The Sheppey, Godney, Somerset – Feb 2018.
– Artmills Gallery, Plymouth – Feb
– Red Propeller Gallery, Devon – Present
– Cheddar Arts Fringe Festival (CHAFF) – April.
– Bath Open Arts Fringe @ 44AD Gallery – May.
– The Atkinson Gallery – Summer Show – June-Aug.
– VAO Exhibition & Awards (Chichester) – Sept.
– Wells Museum – Solo Show, November TBC.
– Cheddar Arts Fringe Festival (CHAFF).
– The Atkinson Gallery Summer Show, Milfield.
– Bruton Art Factory Summer Show, Bruton.
– 21st National Open Art NOA, The Bargehouse, Oxo Tower.
– Pallant Gallery House, Chichester.
The Guardian – Witness – W is for Woman Feature section.
Cool Somerset – social media blog – Feature section.
Brand design artwork for FYOS
Record cover artwork for the band ‘Some Villians’
NOA Original Print Prize 2017 with Cinegirl
Finalist for VAO 2108 – Bolly TBC
Linocut Installation – Bees